terça-feira, 19 de novembro de 2013

My life as an introvert














 "Introversion is a personality trait.  It is a preference relating to how we focus our thoughts, and how we gain energy.  Introverts are inwardly focused.  We like to think and explore our own thoughts and feelings.  Usually, being around people interferes with our desire to be introspective.  Of course, that doesn’t mean that we don’t like conversation.  We just tend to enjoy deeper conversations about thoughts and ideas instead of small talk.  From a personal standpoint, I hate small talk.  It bores me.  I want to hear about your life, and I want to exchange ideas and connect on a deeper level.

Introverts like to reflect on new information – analyze it, process it – and only make decisions after some time.  We very rarely like to tell you what we think if put on the spot unless it’s a topic that we’ve already analyzed, but we are capable of carrying on a conversation about almost anything.  We just may not enjoy that conversation very much, and it will drain us of energy.

Introverts gain their energy from being alone.  That is how we recharge.  It doesn’t mean that we don’t like being around people.  We are not ‘antisocial’.  I love being around people.  If it is someone I care about and enjoy being with, I can be invigorated by the exchange of thoughts, ideas, and emotions.  It is the larger settings that drain us – not because we don’t enjoy them, but because they use our energy.  I heard an analogy once about the difference between introverts and extroverts.  Introverts are like a rechargeable battery. They need to stop expending energy and rest in order to recharge. Extroverts, on the other hand, are like solar panels. For them, being alone is like being under a heavy cloud cover. Solar panels need the sun to recharge, in the same way that extroverts need to be out and about, interacting with lots of people, to refuel. Introverts need time to restore their energy, and it flows out faster than an extrovert’s energy. In order to function to the best of their ability, they need to calculate how much energy something will take, how much they need to conserve, and plan accordingly.  Speaking in front of a group of people will knock me out, and a one on one conversation can invigorate and challenge me, but I have to balance both of those with some alone time to recharge.

I love being an introvert.  I love that I think before I speak.  I love that I think before I act.  I love to listen to other people without always having to add my voice to the conversation.  I love that I share with a small group of trusted people.  I love that being an introvert allows me to see the world from a different perspective than the majority of the population.  It fits the rest of my ‘minority’ personality traits.  It ties me together.  It’s who I am, and there is nothing wrong with it.  It is not a social disease.  It is not something that should be changed.  It is my preference, and I’m finally ok with that."


- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

 Não gosto nada de etiquetas. E muito menos de etiquetar pessoas. Cada um é como é, e tem direito a sê-lo. Mas por vezes é bom encontra-las e saber que não estamos sozinhos no mundo. Que há mais gente 'esquisita' como nós. Tantas que até existe um termo para nos referir-mos a elas. Embora na prática não sirvam para nada e não nos ajudem a lidar com o dia a dia. Há muita gente que as usa como desculpa para a sua forma de estar e interagir com o mundo, 'não tenho a culpa, sou assim, nasci assim'. E por muito verdade que seja, todos temos a capacidade de mudar (assim o queiramos) e de ajustar o nosso comportamento de forma a melhor nos integrar-mos com os outros. Assim seja a nossa vontade. E se há coisas em que tento dar o braço a torcer porque acho que valem a pena, há outras demasiado intrincadas na minha maneira de ser que acho que não devo mudar ou tentar mudar só para agradar a terceiros, principalmente quando esses terceiros também não parecem muito interessados em compreender o meu ponto de vista. E assim se perdem amizades. Parece-me uma razão parva e até estúpida para nos afastarmos de pessoas que nos são queridas. Mas é a vida. Se não conseguimos respeitar a maneira de ser das outras pessoas, então o melhor a fazer mesmo é afastarmo-nos. E foi isso que aconteceu. Mas tenho que admitir que doeu. E que desde então me afastei por completo de novas amizades femininas. Talvez um dia consiga voltar a confiar e a sentir-me confortável com alguém, mas até lá vou mantendo as minhas amizades masculinas que são muito mais descomplicadas e respeitadoras do meu espaço.

Isto tudo para dizer que hoje (ainda início de semana), senti esta necessidade extrema de ficar em casa, simplesmente porque preciso de recarregar. É que não tive tempo para isso no fim de semana e não iria aguentar a semana lá muito bem humorada se não o fizesse. Felizmente tenho um trabalho que me permite gerir o meu horário como bem me convém. Isso e não estou tão atulhada dele que não tenho tempo para mais nada. Mas isso lá está... prioridades :) e a minha sanidade mental é uma delas :) 

Sem comentários:

Enviar um comentário