segunda-feira, 9 de novembro de 2009

First day of "Work"

My cellphone starts ringing... it´s 7.20 am... the night, long and cold, seems to be gone, and a new day is dawning. I get myself up and pick some warm clothes... but it´s not so cold outside as it first seemed. I quickly make up some sandwiches to eat on the field and grab some fruit. I´m gonna need it =) It´s my first day of work...

After driving with my roomie till Algodres, a small and stony village, it´s time to get off the car and start walking. The path is long, but our will is strong :) the chilly wind is slapping our faces, but we quickly welcome it as softener of our rising temperatures ... we eventually make it to Faia Brava, everything seems to be quiet, except for the birds, singing here and there, flying all over us. I feel home =)

We make our way to the vultures feeding site, once again, a long walk... the wind accompanies us but the sun seems reluctant to show up... instead, gray clouds  cover the sky. The birds don´t seem to mind though... after a long way down and eventually up the hill we finally reach the vultures feeding site. In the middle 3 donkey carcasses lay on the ground... a scenery of stillness and death... the smell is anything but pleasant, yet we´ll have to endure it. A little further a solitary donkey head can be seen... it was thorned apart from its body by some animal... after a little research what appear as foxes feces are found... by the youngest carcass digging marks are all over the place... Could a fox be the culprit? There´s no way we can say for sure... In order to fix this enigma we decide to install a camera. It shall capture the culprit the next time it comes by. And so the tests begin. We need to find a proper place for the camera, or make it ourselves. The second option suits us better and our search for rocks begin, but we´re quickly interrupted by one astonishing vision. 
28 griffin vultures appear on the skies. Coming out of nowhere, they flow with the currents forming a spiral of beauty... their wings sometimes contracting form authentic giant flying mustaches x) the spiral eventually dissolves and they fly over us, watching us from above. Maybe they came to eat... maybe they came to watch... maybe just they followed the currents. We get back to our job and set up the camera. After that is time to inspect the fence. It was built so no living mammal could get in, but something got there for sure and we needed evidences of it. After looking all around it a conclusion was reached. There were several spots where an animal could get in. The problem? The concrete attached to the net is falling apart. All u need to do it is dig it and it will disintegrate like sand. On our way we find a small dog. It has been captured by many cameras already, he´s probably lost. But was he the culprit of the donkey head? That is yet to be known...

Next step, find water spots. Even though we followed the map, 2 spots couldn´t be found... frustration describes my feelings, but I´ll find them eventually. Suddenly a marveling vision! A fox passes downhill... red fluffy tail... it couldn´t be anything else. Happiness fills my heart and a new hope fuels me up the hill.

The afternoon is spent walking around the area, looking for water spots and unknown ways. Eventually the day comes to an end and it´s time to return home.

The walk is slow and long... the wind is again our companion. My feet hurt and my patience grows weaker, but there´s no other option but walk. We eventually sight the car, soon we´ll be home =)

I take off my shoes, it´s nice to be back. My room welcomes me and i get back to my spot. An improvised chair covered by a comfortable blanket. I turn on the computer only to find that everyone is fighting about the Christmas dinner. Our group has been falling apart lately and that can be clearly seen... I decide not to care. I´v given my opinion... I´ll just wait for the verdict.

With this sadness in my heart i decide to go to bed...

All i ask for is a tranquil night =)





3 comentários:

  1. Olá parceirinha! :)

    Gostei muito deste teu cantinho! Sempre que vier à net, vou passar por aqui, como cusca que sou eheh :P

    Tu és uma lutadora! Como te disse ainda há pouco, admiro-te muito como pessoa! És muito fiel aos teus principios e uma pessoa forte :)

    Continua assim! =)

    beijinhos**gostiiii =)

    ResponderEliminar
  2. Gostei muito do teu blog :) É difícil no início porque caímos de páraquedas num local em que ninguém nos conhece realmente e não temos a segurança que a nossa casinha nos dá, mas se estiveres a gostar do que estás a fazer (e pelo que li parece que sim :)) daqui a um mês vais te sentir em casa na Figueira!

    Bjinhos

    .mar.

    ResponderEliminar