sábado, 28 de novembro de 2009

Mushy mushy mushrooms ^^


My cell phone rings... it´s the alarm clock... and that means it is time for me to get up... i take my time under the blankets, i don´t feel like getting up yet... but... i have to... duty calls :P I throw away the sheets in a quick movement so there´s no turning back... I get myself ready and it´s time to meet with the workers.

On the way, something becomes clear to me, it´s friday... Oh my god, it´s friday again xD This week just flew by :)

There´s not much to do today, we have to check the vulture's feeding site to see if the repairs we´ve done have somehow been ruined... When we get there, anxiety and excitement fills our hearts... we run the whole fence, but nothing is found... even though that´s good, i feel somehow disappointed... it would be far more exciting if at least footprints were there… either way we leave cameras inside to make sure foxes are not getting in anymore… maybe they didn´t show up because of our scent? It will probably take a while before they try to get in again… but time will tell :)

In the afternoon, me and eduard part our ways… he stays with fernando to help preparing a few details about tomorrow´s field trip and i get back to figueira to buy a few things for it. It´s my longest car journey on my own so far :)  everything goes alright :)
 Back at home i find out that i forgot my keys… the 1st time i need to get home and i don´t have eduard with me, is the 1st time this happens… I´m feeling lucky today xD I check my neighbor's  house to see if she's home, she has some spare keys, but nobody's there… Meanwhile Anthony calls and tells me to meet him at icn park. He has bad news… turns out that the otter we delivered was shot by someone, most probably a hunter. My heart becomes heavy… i don´t understand how can people be so cold… how can they shoot a harmless creature like this? It´s not fair… and it´s inhuman. The icn is gonna try to sew the responsible for this crime, and if not possible, the entire hunting association. I give him all the info i have about the matter, but it´s not gonna be easy, cause the death happened on the frontier between 2 different hunting areas. He then tells me which things i will have to buy for tomorrow's mushroom field trip and nicely invites me for lunch at his house :) he somehow reminds me of Hughes, a funny anime character, specially when it comes to his cute daughters and his sense of humor :)

Back on figueira i quickly take care of everything and spend some time in the park, reading. I then head home, hoping that my neighbor is back or that eduard won't take long. But this isn´t my lucky day… Having nothing to do, but wait, i sit in the garden, take my binoculars and watch the birds… i can hear them everywhere, cheerfully singing… as i look around i find out that the diversity of tones belong in fact to a single specie, the spotless starling. It seems to be everywhere, flying from place to place. Beside that all i see is the house sparrow… nothing out of the ordinary, but enough to keep me entertained till eduard arrives.

Being home, with nothing to do and no one to bother, i go early to bed and watch a movie. Outside, christmas lights glow. It´s the first night they're on, giving me an unexplainable feeling of comfort. Even though i don't care that much about christmas anymore (it has lost all the religious meaning it once had), this time of the year can still cheer me up a little bit. I still believe in some of its values… for me it´s a time to gather family and friends. The consumption time has not come yet, at least not that i've notice… happily, i'm living in a far off place, so i don't have to watch and live the stupid reality of crazy gift shopping.

Saturday goes on smoothly :) We spend the whole day around mushrooms :) mushy mushy shrooms... mushrooms ^^ it´s funny to say those words out loud =P


Most of the people that came for the field trip were spanish experts in the area, but a few portuguese were present as well. We were divided in 2 groups and each followed a different path to faia brava. I liked this experience… it was pretty different from all the field trips I've had so far… To tell the truth I've never really had any interest in mushrooms and i don´t understand anything about them… i didn´t even know which ones were edible or not… xD but it sure was interesting :) i can now recognize a few ^^ (no names were memorized though… lol)

We walked around searching for mushrooms, each one with his own basket to keep the collected mushrooms. I think it went pretty well :) From what I´ve seen in the field i thought we were gonna capture around 20 species, maximum… but we got 80 :) Each specie was put inside a plate with its scientific name on it so it can be exhibited to the public. I´m not sure anyone's gonna be interested, but…

In the end of the day, me and eduard went out a little bit, he wanted to watch a football game and i took the chance to go to the internet :) i didn't have the time to post this though, but i'll do it later :)

Sem comentários:

Enviar um comentário